I had a few questions to ask Ellis Rix, managing technology consultant in the UK and he shared the proudest moment of his career, the challenges he has faced and his secrets to success.
1. How did you get into recruitment?
I started in recruitment straight of Sixth Form at 18. It was recommended by a friend as an industry they thought it would suit me so I gave it a go and I’m still in the industry 10 years later!
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment?
Try to learn as much as you can from successful people in the industry and ask a lot of questions about how they do things! Also, don’t be afraid to make mistakes.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry?
I have always enjoyed the competitive nature of recruitment and the fact that the more you put into it the more successful you can be.
4. What is your proudest moment in your career to date?
The proudest moment of my career is being promoted to managing consultant and being able to build a team of five within two years of being at Eames.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career so far and how have you overcome that?
A month after I started with Eames in 2020 we went into a full lockdown. It was difficult to learn a new company whilst being fully remote but with perseverance, I managed to get up to speed quickly and get used to a new company whilst working fully from home.
6. What is your number 1 secret to success?
Analysing my performance on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to see where I can make small improvements to maximise my productivity and performance.
7. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever been given?
That there is no substitute for hard work in recruitment and to be as persistent as possible even when things aren’t going as well as you would like.
8. What are you driven by and how do you stay motivated?
I am driven by wanting to be the best at the job that I can be as well as being highly motivated by finacial gain opportunities. I keep myself motivated by setting myself small, medium and large goals that I can work towards on a daily basis.
9. How do you keep a work-life balance?
I just try to make sure that when I finish for the day, I try to fully switch off from work. Not checking emails at the weekend!
10. Why Eames?
Eames give me a platform to specialise in a role that plays to my strengths as a recruitment consultant rather than having to fit a generic type of recruitment role, I was able to tailor a role that suited me.