I had a few questions to ask Amelia Chan, a technology and change management consultant in Singapore, and she shared her advice for someone just getting into the recruitment industry, the proudest moment of her career and the biggest challenge she has faced.
1. How did you get into recruitment?
A friend of mine was working in a recruitment agency and I had always found her job to be interesting. I explored a few conversations to know more about the industry and then like many, fell into it!
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment?
Having a good grasp of the fundamentals is incredibly important at the start, even if it's tempting to jump the gun.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry?
The many learning curves you get from the job, and the competitive nature of the industry.
4. What is the proudest moment in your career to date?
A cliche but genuinely, placing a professional who had been out of a job.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career so far and how have you overcome that?
I think the transition into a service industry was not easy, in particular, learning how to deal with rejection. What’s helped me along the way was making a conscious effort to build self-confidence, and to count the small wins.
6. What is your number 1 secret to success?
There is no substitute for working hard, but along the way learning how to leverage your individual strengths to your advantage.
7. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever been given?
That it is important to find fulfilment and enjoyment in the work that you do!
8. What are you driven by and how do you stay motivated?
Focusing on the end goal is a strong source of motivation during my down points.
9. How do you keep a work-life balance?
Committing to time for life outside work throughout the week, be it with friends or family.
10. People would be surprised if they knew...?
I am an avid, Lord Of The Rings fanatic.