I had a few questions to ask Adam Smith a senior broking and underwriting consultant at Eames Consulting in the UK, and he shared his advice for someone just getting into recruitment, the best advice he's ever been given and why he chose to work at Eames.
1. How did you get into recruitment?
I was originally looking for sales-based roles, but I had a couple of close friends who worked in recruitment who I spoke with, and I could see there were a lot of parallels with a sales role so decided to give it a go!
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment?
I think the two main pieces of advice would be to make sure you ask lots of questions and don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Also, putting in the hours at the start will lead to you getting to grips with the market and processes needed to have a successful career.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry?
Working in a meritocracy where your progression isn’t limited to tenure would be the main one. There are also lots of other factors though such as team, company and also recruiting into a market I find interesting definitely helps.
4. What is the proudest moment in your career to date?
Both promotions have definitely been proud moments, it is a great feeling when you have hit your targets and see the benefits.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career so far and how have you overcome that?
Working through a pandemic definitely had its challenges, I think like most people I tried to keep a positive mindset and not let it affect work efforts.
6. What is your number 1 secret to success?
Don’t overcomplicate things, if you stay focused and keep working hard, remain empathetic towards clients and candidates alike there is no way you won’t succeed in this industry.
7. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever been given?
If you give a deadline, make sure you meet it!
8. What are you driven by, and how do you stay motivated?
I think like most people in the industry financial gain is a big driver, however, I can honestly say it does genuinely please me still when I find someone their next role.
9. How do you keep a work/life balance?
I make sure I get regular exercise and try to leave my phone behind so I am switched off from emails or work.
10. Why Eames?
The platform is market-leading both from the training perspective as well as Eames being a reputable brand across numerous markets. Success is also recognised in the business with superb incentives and rewards.