I had a few questions to ask Martin Shuter, director of the technology contract division at Eames Consulting in the UK, and he shared the challenges he's faced, his number one secret to success, and why Eames.
1. How did you get into recruitment?
I was introduced to recruitment by my best friends, one of whom is still in recruitment and owns his own business, and the other is now a professional contractor.
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment?
Be yourself and learn your own style, as well as working harder than anyone in the room.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry?
The job satisfaction of mentoring consultants and watching their careers flourish, it’s the buzz of working in a vibrant sales business, but most of all, it’s the people you work with.
4. What is your proudest moment in your career to date?
I’d say building my first ever high-performing team in my first management role.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career so far, and how have you overcome that?
The transition from being a biller into a manager and the mental shift that it requires. Overcoming it was easy, I just had to leave my ego at the door and focus on helping people be the best version of themselves.
6. What is your number 1 secret to success?
7. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever been given?
Don’t be afraid of failing, be afraid of not trying. Also, the best recruitment is done when people aren’t recruiting.
8. What are you driven by, and how do you stay motivated?
I am driven by my goals and making sure I hit them every month and year. I am motivated by developing people and matching fantastic candidates with great clients.
9. How do you keep a work/life balance?
Eames has a very good WFH policy and this allows the staff to take time out for the gym/wellbeing activities. It's easy to fall into the “always connected” trap with various apps and email but I always ensure I allow time with my wife and little boy and get into the gym five days a week.
10. Why Eames?
The people. Business is all about the people you work with. Eames has a fantastic and diverse blend of people who all share the same common goal.